HOTEL WEISSEESPITZE Cuisine
Oberländer Kasmus recipe by chef Paul
Head chef Paul reveals today by video how he prepares a traditional Kasmuas according to the old recipe of his grandmother. A piece of Kaunertal to cook, the feeling of vacation for home. Look forward to preparing and enjoying your next visit at the Hotel Weisseespitze, in the Kaunertal Nature Park & Glacier region.
Recipe to read
- 1 large, deep pan
- 60 grams of clarified butter
- 120 grams of coarse polenta semolina
- 4 - 5 tablespoons of flour depending on the consistency
- Cheese for example Emmental, mountain cheese or Tilsiter (also mixed)
- 1 liter of milk
- 300 ml water
- Farm butter
1. For a classic roux, called “Einbrenn” in Tyrolean, let the butter melt. Add the flour and stir in evenly until the mixture turns golden brown and smells slightly nutty. Do not switch the hotplate too hot so that the roux does not burn.
2. Add polenta semolina. Roast everything briefly, do not let it burn.
3. Pour the mixture onto the milk and stir until smooth with a whisk. Let simmer until the Kasmus thickens, stir again and again. Then season with a pinch of salt, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Stir in half of the cheese and wait until a light crust has formed on the bottom of the pan.
5. Scatter the rest of the cheese on the Kasmus, spread a few cubes of butter in between for good taste. Close the pan lid and let it sit for 20 minutes without cooking before serving.